Monday, December 6, 2010

The Games!


So about a week ago I put an Xbox 360 on Layby until Christmas. Since my eventual possession of an Xbox is now confirmed I quickly set about deciding what games I would buy to get me going when the day came. After a lot of browsing I came up with four titles that I decided i would like to give a go.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I am first and foremost a fantasy/RPG player. I never feel more at home in a game than when I have a word in my hand or magical energy coursing through my veins. I was first introduced to Oblivion’s awesomeness about two years ago when my girlfriend bought me the PC version for Christmas. I was delighted. Not only in the game but also in that Sarah had overcome her dislike of video games to get me something that she knew I would like (that’s love right there). To my dismay however I would quickly discover out that my computer lacked the capacity to play it and so a sad trip was made to the games store to return it. But with my new Xbox on the horizon I can finally get into the game.

Gears of War

When looking at the Xbox’s flagship titles. The ones that are exclusive to its brand Gears of War was right up there on the top. Magazines and websites are being flooded with news and previews of the highly anticipated Gears of War 3 and it looks amazing. As strong as my love of fantasy is, my love of giant beasties is possibly greater. The Locust Horde that features in GOW will be a nice step away from the hacking and slashing of an RPG. And I do enjoy a good third-person shooter every now and again.

Mass Effect

Another flagship title for the Xbox, Mass Effect appeals for its blending of Sci-Fi elements and RPG gameplay. It’s something that I have never played before and I am eager to launch into a good space opera. Star Wars and Stargate are big favourites of mine and it looks like Mass Effect can deliver in providing me with a good juicy tale.

Fable

Finally, we come to the big one. I loved the look of Fable ever since the first title was released way back in 2004. It will be great to finally get my hands on such a unique and engaging game. I hope it lives up the hype and I’m pretty sure it will. I’m hoping that by the time I am finished with number two Fable 3 will have come down to a sensible price range. Never have I payed more than $50 dollars for a game and I never intend to.

So those are the big draw cards on my list. Thankfully EB Games has recently run a deal that involved Mass Effect, Gears of War and The elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion allowing me to pick up all three titles for just $40 dollars. Thanks EB. So I have my games but not the console to play them on. I shall have to be content with online reviews and reading the instruction booklets until I can finally dive into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment